Ripe crisp apples are baked with a nutty frangipane spread, layered with sweet creamy caramel and wrapped in a flakey golden crust, say hello to Apple Frangipane Caramel Strudel - delicious with coffee or a scoop of ice cream!
It's officially apple season folks! Which means it's almost time for apple pie - my favourite, and I will fight you on this! It's not cold enough yet for apple pie, so how about an Apple Caramel Frangipane Strudel instead? It takes half the time; yet has all the tastes of fall!
What is Apple Caramel Frangipane Strudel?
Originally from Germany, a Strudel is a layered pastry with a sweet filling. This Apple Frangipane Caramel Strudel features a braided puff-pastry crust, a frangipane: an almond paste spread, and a caramel sauce for extra extra sweetness.
How to Make Apple Caramel Frangipane Strudel
Here's the step breakdown for this bakery-worthy treat:
1.Peel, slice, and toss apples in the sugar/spice mixture.
2.Make the frangipane by sifting almond flour and powdered sugar into a food processor with an egg white. Blitz together until a spreadable paste form.
3.Assemble the strudel by stacking apple slices, sprinkling with sugar mixture and drizzle with my fav caramel recipe.
4.Bake the braided frangipane by brushing with a generous egg wash and sprinkle with course sugar. (Step-by-step assembling photos below!)
5.Enjoy hot with your favourite scoop of ice cream or as an afternoon pick-me-up with coffee or tea.
What Ingredients Do I Need for Apple Caramel Frangipane Strudel?
Just under 10 ingredients and you've got a bakery-worthy treat!
Apples: These are the star of this recipe, so splurge and get a variety for a deeper flavour. I recommend a combination of: Granny Smith (for a tart hit), Honey Crisp (for a sweet crunch), Red Delicious (these are softer with a deep flavour) and, if you can find these, Braeburn (they're sweeter and taste almost like pears).
Almond Flour: While you can buy frangipane, I find that home-made is much tastier and without extra additives.
Powdered Sugar: For a little sweetness in the frangipane.
Egg White: This acts as a binding agent between the almond flour and sugar in the frangipane.
Brown Sugar, Cinnamon & Nutmeg: The perfect fall sugar spice combo for flavouring the apples.
Store-Bought Puff Pastry: While you can make this with a home-made pie crust, I prefer puff pastry, for extra flakiness and who doesn't like saving time?!
How do I Braid a Strudel?
Step 1: Spread frangipane in the middle third of the puff pastry.
2. Leaving a one inch allowance, add the apple slices overlapping them slightly.
3. Cut 2 triangles from the top and bottom, then cut ½ inch diagonal lines on either side of the puff pastry. Sprinkle with sugar spice mixture & Caramel.
4.Starting from the top, fold the top and bottom edges over the apple slices alternating from right to left.
This method is waaaay easier than it looks, and you'll be braiding all your pastries after this! Happy Baking!
Apple Caramel Frangipane Strudel
for the frangipane
- ½ cup (48g) almond flour sifted
- ½ cup (50g) powdered sugar sifted
- 1 small egg white
for the filling
- 3 small apples peeled, cored & cut into ¼ inch slices
- 2 tbsp (28g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (3g) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2g) nutmeg
- 1 recipe for salted caramel
- 1 roll store-bought puff pastry defrosted
- 1 small egg yolk
- ½ tsp milk
- 1 recipe for caramel sauce
- Defrost the puff pastry at least 40 minutes prior to assembling and preheat the oven to 390°F .
for the frangipane
- Sift the almond flour and confectioners sugar into a food processor (discarding any large clumps) and add in the egg white. Pulse until a smooth spreadable paste forms (should be of peanut butter consistency). Set aside until ready to assemble.
for the filling
- Stir together brown sugar, ground cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside. In another medium sized bowl, place the sliced apples and toss with ¾ of the sugar spiced mixture.
- Place the puff pastry on a sheet of parchment paper with the short side facing you (portrait layout). Spread a thin layer of frangipane in the middle of the puff pastry, and leaving one inch of allowance on the top and bottom add the apple slices, slightly overlapping them in the center. Drizzle with ¼ cup of caramel sauce.
- Using a pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut 2 triangles from the top and bottom, then cut ½ inch diagonal lines on either side of the puff pastry. Fold the top and bottom edges of the puff pastry over the apple slices then, starting from the top, fold the side pieces over the apples alternating from right to left making sure to lightly press the puff pastry ends overtop each other to adhere.
- Once completely “braided”, brush with egg wash (combination of egg yolk + milk) and sprinkle with course sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is a golden brown and the inside is slightly bubbling.
- Serve hot with caramel sauce. Enjoy!
- Recipe for Caramel Sauce